Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Congerville Nostalgia

Did I tell you I was born on a farm located between Congerville and Carlock in Woodford County? That I attended a one room grade school as did my seven sisters and one brother? That I had the same teacher all thru grade school? And that grade school was located in McLean County? That I graduated from the eighth grade with ceremonies held in Carlock grade school in Mclean County and three years later, graduated from Congerville High School in Woodford County. And one year later, graduated from Normal Community High School in Mclean County yet lived in the same house all thru grade and high school? Congerville was closed in 1946 as a three year high school and is now an elementary school.

However, Congerville continues to have a yearly school reunion, the latest this past weekend. The oldest attendee was Carl Scheiber at 97 and his sister, Emma, at 95. Familiar names like Kauffman, Hoffman, Steffen, Knapp, Schrock, Romersberger, Reeser, Reaba, (Koch) Zook and Bauman to name a few were in attendance. Russel Oyer is the historian; Dave and Lois Greer keep the alumni lists current and handle the mailings. The Irons heritage, Kenny, Keith and Joyce handled the ceremonies this year and Claire and I will handle the ceremonies in 2005.

Our get together trip down memory lane was enjoyed by all those who were able to attend. Any of you who might be reading this, I look forward to another Congerville Alumni gathering next year!!

No comments: