Monday, August 09, 2004

Golden Eggs??????

Yesterday, I stated that Peoria had spent around $50,000,000 of taxpayer money on the downtown area in the last few years. Some of my friends say this figure is way too low. Recently, the Journal Star, in an Editorial stated “local governments should do follow-up to see that the taxpayer gets his (or her) bang for the buck.” Then later, a Journal Star Editorial asks “whether our economic developments efforts and strategies have been misdirected, gobbling up precious public dollars that would have been more wisely spent elsewhere?” Since gobbling was an interesting word, I wrote a letter to the JS Editor, stating it was a little late to be asking the “wisely” question, and that those who had freely spent all this taxpayer money had better hope that some of these projects lay golden eggs. “This City Council has a propensity to say yes to everyone who comes before them, asking for something special” (money), is a quote attributed to then Mayor “Bud” Grieves on 10/21/99.” So where are we in August of 2004? Who is doing the follow up? I’ll give it a try.

Let’s start with everyone’s favorite “golden egg.” THE RIVERPLEX!! LOSING ONLY $6,000 TO $7,000 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Proof of this is in the Peoria Park District’s 2003 financial results released in July & available through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), for any one who can understand the creative bookkeeping involved. (Along with all the other records I have on file about this controversial project.) More on this later, as I intend to publish on this site the complete RiverPlex saga, what the Park Administration said & what the Journal Star said along with facts & figures & dates.

My next favorite “golden egg,” is the highly promoted ONE TECHNOLOGY PLAZA. Peoria County, not during my terms on the County Board, bought space in this building for $940,325. This space sits empty today.

How about the GATEWAY CENTER? The Journal Star has reported on the situation, so I’ll not comment further today.

I will just mention DAMONS, THE GRILL on Fulton Street, the vacancies at the old RIVER STATION BUILDING, as a few, & try to be optimistic about a number of the other downtown projects where the jury is still out..

I’ll close out on a joyful & sad note. Yesterday, we celebrated my brother’s 90th birthday & today we grieved at my 90 year old brother-in-law’s wake.

Talk to you soon.


No comments: