Thursday, March 03, 2005

Hines School

I had the pleasure of visiting Hines School today. This is a District #150 school in control of their classrooms, hallways, cafeteria and physical education classes. I praise the work being done by Principal Cathy Wiggers and her staff and teachers, especially Custodian Fisher and Mrs. Finney, cafeteria manager. All had one purpose; show authority that these kids can respect and, in turn, create a learning atmosphere throughout the entire school. Every classroom I observed from the hallways was filled with kids who were listening instead of talking. Custodian Fisher knew how to calm these kids and get them to listen. (I doubt this extra effort is in his contract). One of the posted signs I saw everywhere said “close your lips”. It seems simple. Show love and enforce discipline and receive respect.

I saw this at Hines School today. If this continuity was maintained thru K-12, the community can only benefit. What often goes wrong when they leave schools like Hines and Valeska Hinton?

I also had lunch at Hines School. For $2.15, I had my choice of a Burrito or a Sloppy Joe, a carton of milk, a generous salad bar, a vegetable and dessert. A balanced meal for less cost than a hamburger from a fast food place!! Yet many kids brought their own lunches, some that were reasonably balanced, but others consisted of candy, chips or pretzels and cookies. Every school I visit in Dist. #150 has a reasonably balanced lunch; it is not the schools responsibility to make the kids eat good food. It, of course, is the responsibility of the parent. The fact that some kids will only eat sweets is an indictment of the parent, not the school.

As I read and listen to the politicians running for office in April, I wonder how many have ever made an unannounced visit to a school and observed first hand what goes on.

Most of them know about this site. They are welcome to comment.

No comments: