Friday, February 12, 2010

Phil Luciano's JS Column

On 2/10/2010, Phil wrote in the Journal Star, "Are some jobless just afraid of hard work?" Phil asks a question I could have answered years ago. Why do you think we have some many illegal immigrants seeking and often find hard work in the U.S.?

Hard work seldom killed anyone. All original 11 Widmers worked hard and only 2 died before age 85. Six made it into the 90's. Four are still living.

Concerned people should visit school classrooms or notice the rundown conditions of houses with front porches where many young men often congregate during working hours? When kids don't learn to work at home, in the summers or in school, why would you expect them to work when they drop out or are socially promoted through the school system? Does one really believe that ALL incarcerated people; those in court, juvenile detention, county jails and prisons are there because there was no learning opportunity or no jobs available? Our public schools are free and most teachers are good teachers in any school in any location.

A major problem still remains. Those many "leaders" still preaching "victimization" and who are trying to put themselves in positions to profit by convincing other there is no opportunity for jobs.

To get a job, one usually has to seek a job. But that in itself is hard work so if one never learned to work, why would they seek work? Or enough know how to seek? And who, except a welfare agency, (also think ACORN) a patronage provider and some unions would hire someone who doesn't know how to work, to be dependable, accept responsibility and be honest?

I stop[ed donating to one prominent welfare agency when I noted weeds growing up around the grounds. The agency said they had no money to hire someone. I said why not use the people coming in for free meals, etc.? I was told they couldn't ask the clientele because of the possibility of Workmen's Compensation claims. Is this a great country or not?

No entry level job need be a dead end. I did good work as a waiter, a job I sought. That was observed by some eating at the restaurant and soon I was hired into better paying jobs. With the help of the G.I. Bill and these extra jobs, I was able to put myself through college, into a teaching job that led to a business career, 28 years of which I was the owner. I've been retired 18 years and still know how to put in a "hard days work".

The G.I. Bill is a whole lot better today but the services are looking for people who will work hard. And the possibility of death or injury is less per capita of any war since the 1940's. And even with the risk of death or service related injuries, service to the nation should be far more desirable then incarceration. But maybe welfare is better, depends on ones ambition or lack of.

I was in business of hiring people for almost 36 years. For every person I sought to work hard at a profit producing job, about three were not even hireable. I believe it may be worse today because people are even less flexible about continuing to educate themselves for changing horizons.

Phil, one other businessman in Peoria said it was tough to find good people who wanted to work and got himself "cremated" by the press and Ray LaHood. We live in an era of new hires being told not too work to hard and show "your buddies up", especially in the some sectors. And now we have an administration in D.C. promising a "goose that lays golden eggs for some people"; a goose who is not in the pot but doing the cooking and employers looking for hard-working people, are the ones "in the pot".

Again, Phil, I can say these things but you may still have to hold a job and be "politically correct" most of the time.

I don't.

No comments: