Monday, October 11, 2010

If You Don't Like Your Job, Try Another Field

Answer to "Anonymous" to an email I received.


Nice try. You said you were from #150. You are 100 unionized. I suppose you teach all summer with no extra pay. You agreed to the contract so what's your beef? Why don't you lead the drive for pay for performance?

Bet you’re a Democrat and you are complaining that the state may go broke?? How about the whole country that has been under Democrat control for years?

And yes, I was, still am, more competent than many teachers, administrators and many board members. I've proved it over and over. I worked for one company 8 years. Promoted into management and then into top management. I started and owned my own business for 28 years. The company still bears my name 18 years after I sold it. The more competent I become, the more I made. Better yet, I performed a service lacking in the community and ENJOYED my work which sometimes meant working 7 days a week with short vacations.

I also met every payroll. If employees were not happy, I encoouraged them to leave. I was able to fire those who did not help cause the compamy to succeed. And yes, I was unionized for 22 years with only one grievance filed which the company won.

I have no pension but my wife and I do quite well.

By the way, I didn't write the article or didn't you notice?

Why do you comment without your name? I put my name on everything I write.

Hmmm.

1 comment:

Merle Widmer said...

My comments address the public school system. There are many outstanding public schools and teachers.

Dedicated teachers are the ones who get the most satisfaction helping kids progress to higher levels. Most of them gravitate toward charter, private and parochial schools.

I believed and still believe that too many unpaid board members are self serving and strongly influenced to serve their own interests and special interest groups.

Promotion by tenure is usually a failure in the private sector. Ditto the public sector. Tenure, equal pay, weak boards, plus today's unions kill the incentives for too many outstanding teachers.